Tens rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes with five forwards and five backs in a team. It combines the best aspects of Sevens and 15-man rugby, creating a game with more open space than 15's, but with less kicking and less contact. However scrums, line-outs, big hits and even rucking are still important in this version of the game; and of course with all the extra space, speed, skill, and the high scoring that epitomises 7's rugby are all characteristics of the 10's game.
All tournament divisions will be divided up into pools, for the round robin part of the tournament on the Saturday. The top teams will go through to the cup phase of the knockout stages, whereas the bottom teams and the losing quarterfinal sides will all drop down to the plate and bowl sections. This set up means that all teams will play matches on the Saturday and the Sunday - regardless of their results on the first day. There will be four tournament divisions at the Cape Town 10's;
- 'Beer' division: For those that want to have a bit of fun off the park the Beer division hosts up to 48 teams, split into a 2 tier 'Heavy' and 'Light' divisions system based on the following criteria:
- If the majority of your team play rugby regular club (or other) rugby
- If your team is a club team, whether or not playing in the club colours and/or name
- Academy teams, or the majority of your players are in some sort of academy set up (you should even consider the Premier Division in this case)
- Your team was brought together just for this tournament
- The majority of your team are long since retired and/or aren't playing regular rugby
- You really are playing just for the beer!
- 'Veteran' division: For those a bit long in the tooth - and want some fun off the field. Hosts 16 teams and ALL team members need to be at least 35 years of age.
- 'Premier' division: For top-level players who also want some fun off the field.
- 'Services' division: For everyone that protects the rest of us in some way - police, army, navy, firefighters etc - who want some fun too