Royal Military Academy Sandhurst: USA 2013

Post Tour Report PTR: RMA Sandhurst

On the 13th April 2013 RMA Sandhurst started on their rugby expedition to the home of the brave and the land of the free, America. Starting off in boston and then traveling to west point military academy before finishing of in Manhattan. Equipped with a 24 man strong roster with team members ranging from junior cadets to drill sergeants, they took on the north east of the United States.

In the first day of the tour RMA Sandhurst started off with a trip to watch one of the US’ best known franchises, the Boston Red Socks for their afternoon entertainment. The following day only the second day into the tour they went to watch the Boston Marathon when disaster struck the area, with the tragedy that took place. Thankfully no one on tour was injured and a number of the group assisted in helping the casualties in the area.

Match day one saw RMA Sandhurst take on Harvard at the world renowned University’s campus, which had the day starting with a tour of the famous educational institution and discovering why it is classed as one of the best Universities in the world. Although Harvard at least held their own, in parts of the match played under the flood lights, the real show of quality and experience shone through, as Sandhurst ended up winning the match 40-25 to go one nil up on tour.

The following day started with the team traveling to the $10m Anderson Rugby complex to prepare to face off against an old adversaries and great rivals West Point Military Academy's. The rivalry goes back years to when the two teams used to play biannually, and this will have been a great day for reigniting the fires of competition. Sandhurst controlled the entire game and eventually ran away with a comprehensive victory of 58-11.

The group then travelled up to New York and Manhattan where they had an enjoyable few days sightseeing around the ‘Big Apple’ with trips to the major land marks and attractions.

The final battle of the tour saw Sandhurst, inspired by the previous days excursions to the Statue of Liberty and Times Square overpower another formidable opponent in New York Athletic Club. Sandhurst’s team consisted of senior members pulling on their boots to play due to a number of injuries as a result from the fiery contest against West Point. New York Athletic Club put up a good fight but yet again for the third time on tour Sandhurst just had too much experience for the Americans and won the final game of the mini-series 34-10.

The last night of the tour Sandhurst went out for dinner and the customary end of tour social, which provided a somber and reflective atmosphere of everything that had happened on what, was a brilliant team bonding tour of the States, before the after dinner party provided a fitting end to a tour enjoyed by all.